For the annual WFEO GREE Women in Engineering Award nominations were invited for outstanding female engineers who have made significant contributions to engineering. Nominations have been submitted by an institution such as a university, an engineering institute or association, a corporate entity, or a national and international organization.
The 2020 WFEO GREE Women in Engineering Award winner is Ms. Elvira Fortunato from Portugal. Elvira Fortunato is a Portuguese engineer and scientist with a top academic profile. She has a specialization in material science and has led breakthrough research in nanomaterials, microelectronics and material engineering. She is worldwide recognized as the inventor of transparent electronics and paper electronics, with highly regarded publications and significant patents. She is vice-rector of Nova University of Lisbon and holds many positions in academic and the boards of technological institutions. The awarding ceremony will be organized on 8 April, 1 PM CET. Please find the registration link here.
8 April 2021, 1 PM – 2 PM CET
Live streaming at https://www.youtube.com/user/wfeofmoi. Moderator: José Vieira, WFEO President Elect.
- Opening Remarks: Gong Ke, President of WFEO, Dong Mingzhu, Chairwoman, Gree Electrical Appliances (tbc), Shamila Nair-Bedouelle, Assistant Director General, UNESCO
- Announcement of the 2020 Awards Laureate: Maria Prieto Laffargue, Chair of the International Jury
- Presentation by the 2020 Laureate, Dr Elvira Fortunato
- Announcement of the 2020 4 Highly Commended Entries: Ania Lopez, Chair of WFEO Awards Committee, member of the jury
- Presentations by H. Amissah, M. Anderson, R. Archer, S. Mashaly
- Closing remarks: Marlene Kanga, President of WFEO 2017-2019
The World Federation of Engineering Organizations (WFEO) promotes diversity, inclusion, and gender equality in engineering. The WFEO GREE Women in Engineering Award was first announced during WFEO’s 50th Anniversary celebration at UNESCO headquarters in Paris in March 2018, with its sponsor GREE Electric Appliances. This is the first global Award to acknowledge and give visibility to outstanding women engineers, for their professional excellence and contribution to engineering for the good of people and planet.